dagSPIN: What will they say about it all now?
1. Right Wing: “Torture works”; “Support the Troops”; “Protect the Homeland”. Jingoism, Jingoism, Jingoism. Several bills on the legislative agenda that, if passed, will expand the powers afforded the government in the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act. The right wing will use the renewed interest in Osama bin Laden and push for further exceptionalist protectionism. It’s that simple. This will include more fervent pro-corporatist, anti-left behavior in the long-term.
2. Conservative Pundits: Rendition, secret prisons and torture works and the left wing is responsible for politicizing war on terror. As the links show, Michelle Malkin is already all over this.They will push a little to rehabilitate Bush’s presidency, but not much and not for long.
3. Liberal Pundits: “Bush didn’t care, Obama did”. Obama is super-popular and kicking ass.
4. Left Wing: “John Kerry was right.” Basically, we do not need to invade countries to engage terrorists with our military. We need good intelligence, to arrest the leaders of terrorist organizations and to try them in our courts.
5. Libertarians: Libertarians will use this to try to promote their newest cause, a possible strong Ron-Paul-for-President campaign. Events like this permit American libertarians to promote an anti-war stance that offers good cover for its unpopular, pro-corporate agenda. They’ll use a Ron Paul campaign to recruit young people who love to hate the state.